Homeowners using Structural Insulated Panels
Q. WHAT ARE R-CONTROL SIPs (STRUCTURAL INSULATED PANELS)?A. An extremely strong super insulated structural panel building component used for exterior walls, roof/ceilings, and floors. R-Control SIPs are made from engineered wood facings laminated with structural grade adhesives to termite resistant expanded polystyrene rigid insulation.
Q. WHAT TYPE OF STRUCTURES CAN BE BUILT WITH R-CONTROL SIP PANELS?A. R-Control SIPs can be used in all designs: custom homes, engineered homes, restaurants, office buildings, schools, churches....the options are endless. Homeowners, builders, and designers who want to use a superior building technology can all benefit from R-Control SIPs.
Q WHY SHOULD I CONSIDER USING R-CONTROL SIP OVER CONVENTIONAL STICK BUILT METHODS?A. If you plan to own or occupy the building or house, there are several excellent reasons to consider R-Control SIPs.
- Comfort — One of the most exciting features of an R-Control SIP structure is the comfort benefit to the homeowner. R-Control SIPs create an inside home environment that is more easily and economically controlled. In addition to superior physical comfort, R-Control SIP structures are also very quiet and clean.
- Thermal Performance — Stick built walls were originally designed to be structural, not insulated. With R-Control SIPs, the insulation is not an afterthought, but an integral part of the structure. The insulation is solid, so there is no air movement within the wall, nor are there studs acting as thermal breaks that reduce energy efficiency and homeowner comfort.
- Strength — Structural testing and real world storms and earthquakes have challenged R-Control SIP strength performance. In tests of strength, R-Control SIPs have proven stronger than stick framed construction methods.
- Quality — R-Control SIPs assure you of straight, flat walls with no bulging framing members. Straight walls are virtually impossible to achieve with stick framing. Attraction of dirt particles to thermal shorts caused by framing members is eliminated. A continuous wood surface provides a sound nailing base for conventional exterior finishing materials. This is also an advantage for interior finishing, as well as hanging cabinets and pictures.
- Speed of Construction — R-Control SIPs are a faster method of construction. Many R-Control SIP contractor users report 30% to 50% increased productivity in their framing.