What are SIPs?
What are SIPs?The answer to the question of what are SIPs or Structural Insulated Panels are a 21st century composite material that provides the benefits of insulation and structural performance in a single building product. SIPs consist of EPS (expanded polystyrene) insulation laminated with structural adhesives to oriented strand board structural sheathing. SIP panels benefit from the unique characteristics of composites – the simple sandwich panel forms an amazingly strong insulated panel for building walls, roofs and floors for SIP homes or commercial buildings. So, what are SIPs, simply the best building component available today!
What Are the Benefits of using R-Control Structural Insulated Panels?The benefits of using R-Control structural insulated panels are numerous:
- Comfort: When a structure is built with SIPs, it creates an interior environment that blocks wind and moisture, is very quiet, clean, and that contributes to superior comfort.
- Construction Speed: SIPs are a faster method of construction because they reduce framing time by as much as 50% percent compared to conventional stick frame methods.
- Energy Efficiency: Structural Insulated Panels are one of the most airtight and well insulated building systems available reducing energy consumption.
- Green Building: SIPs reduce their impact on the environment by using component materials that are earth friendly and helps create a green building that uses less energy.
- Strength: SIPs are a strong method of construction and can outperform conventional methods in both structural testing and real world high winds and earthquakes.
The many important benefits of using R-Control structural insulated panels make it the preferred building system.
Do SIP panels meet local and national building code requirements?
Yes. Structural Insulated Panels have been tested extensively by nationally recognized organizations such as the International Code Council Evaluation Service. R-Control SIPs meet building codes because they comply with the fire and structural regulations of the International Building and Residential Codes.
What is the cost of SIPs construction versus stick frame construction?
The cost of any structure will greatly vary based on the design. While the cost of SIPs materials may be slightly higher, the labor savings from shorter construction time offset the total cost. Because customized R-Control SIPs for homeowners and commercial building owners are more energy efficient, the structure will produce significant savings over the life of the structure by lowering heating and cooling costs.
A green method of construction – customized R-Control SIPs for homeowners and commercial building owners.
The construction and operation of buildings has a significant impact on the environment, so it is important to find green building alternatives. Building with customized R-Control SIPS for homeowners and commercial owners provide them built-in environmental benefits. R-Control SIPs are made from renewable wood resources and the expanded polystyrene insulation which contains no HCFs, CFCs, and HCFCs and the life cycle analysis of SIPs shows a substantial reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. Building with SIP panels can help meet many national green building programs like the USGBC LEED rating system, NAHB Green Building Program, and Energy Star programs.