SIPs Labor Case Study 3
Project: Labor time estimate for the setting of R-Control SIPs for wall and roof panels used to build the structural and insulated envelope of a 28’ x 22’ structure.
R-Control SIPs: Panels were supplied from factory: Cut to length, width, and gable configuration. Door and window openings were cut. Spline and plate pockets were factory cut.
Scope of work - Walls:
- Treated lumber at top of concrete for capillary break, as in SIP-104.
- Sill plate was installed top of treated plate, as in SIP-104.
- R-Control SIP was set over sill plate, as in SIP-104.
- Panel to panel connection was done using block spline, as in SIP-102g.
- Corner connection was done, as in SIP-103.
- Door, window openings field plated, as in SIP-114 and SIP-115.
- 4 man crew was used to hand set panels and execute details.
Results - Walls
- 4 men spent 3 hours or 12 man hours to set 100 lineal feet of wall.
- 8.33 lineal feet of installed R-Control SIP per man hour.
- 84 square feet of installed R-Control SIP per man hour.
Scope of work - Roof:
- Preparation of R-Control SIP roof panels on ground, block spline male side installed, as in SIP-102g.
- Attachment at eave wall, as in SIP-102g.
- Attachment at gable wall, as in SIP-122c.
- Attachment at ridge, as in SIP-121a.
- Eave and gable edge plating, as in SIP-119b and SIP-119d.
Results - Roof
- Preparation: 2 men spent 1 hour to install 180 lineal ft. of block spline in 4’ wide x 15’ long roof panels, as in SIP-102g.
- 90 lineal feet of spline per man hour.
- 2 men on roof, 1 man on the ground, set 900 sq. ft. of roof in 2 hours, 6 man hours, plus 2 man hours prep.
- 2 hours of crane time.
- 113 square feet of installed R-Control roof panels per man hour.